LED strip lights are very flexible and versatile lighting sources that have numerous advantages like lower heat generation, longer life and higher energy efficiency. Since there are different types of LED strip lights with different ratings, it is essential to do proper research before purchasing them.
Before you buy LED strip lights, you have to determine the purpose or function it is going to serve.
- If you are going to use your lights for mood lighting or accent lighting, you can choose small lights which don’t consume too much power.
- If you want to adapt your lights to different areas, go for lights which have color customization options along with brightness adjustability.
- If you are planning to attach the lights to specific spots like cabinets or cupboards for illumination, you might have to purchase lights which come with attachment parts.
- Type Of LED Strip
There are different types of LED strip and you should choose the right one according to,
- The brightness level you want
- Flexibility of attachment
Given below are the different types of LED strips,
AC LED Flex Strips – These are ‘plug and play’ LED Strips. They usually come with 20 LEDs per foot. There are no complicated attachment procedures required for these strips.
DC LED Flex Strips – These strips are mainly used for accent lighting, mood lighting or to light small areas. They are powered by batteries or can be plugged into standard outlets.
LED Rope Light – These lights are also ‘plug and play’. They are mainly used for accent lighting since they don’t provide high brightness levels.
High Output LED Strips – As implied by the name, these lights have high brightness levels. They can be used as principal lighting sources for large areas.
- Quality Of Lights
Consider the following points while determining quality,
- Make sure the strip lights have proper safety certifications.
- Check the number of lumens the lights provide per foot. Good quality strip lights provide at least 450 lumens per foot. Avoid buying LED strip lights that do not provide a brightness specification in lumens.
- All strip lights must have a good quality circuit board in order to avoid voltage drops.
Not everyone can splurge on expensive LED strip lights. While good quality LED strip lights are more expensive, you can find plenty of good quality and cheap LED lights for your home. While buying cheap LED lights make sure they,
- Have a good brightness rating.
- Are made from good quality components.
- Don’t consume too much energy.
- Color Variations And Temperature
The color temperature rating of your strip lights will affect the appearance of light. LED strip lights with temperature ratings below 4000K look yellowish and warm-toned. If you are not a fan of the yellowish tinge, go for lights that have temperature ratings above 4500K.
You should also check the CRI (Color Rendering Index) of the strip lights. For the best quality lights, go for strip lights which have a CRI of 90-100.
- Power Consumption
The amount of power that your strip lights consume will depend on the length of the strip. LED strip lights usually run at 12V or 24V. Make sure you read the power consumption and wattage details on the product page or package before you make your purchase. You should also purchase the correct power unit according to the voltage your strip lights use. Conclusion
Make a list of the best-LED strip lights you find in your budget. Filter them according to your preferred brightness level and other customization options.