We all have entertained the dream of migrating to a different country at some point in our lives, especially if the conditions of our home country are not what we hoped for. But one of the major drawbacks of migrating abroad is the fact that we have to leave our friends and loved ones behind. Without a doubt our parents have played a huge role in our lives and leaving them behind is never easy. If you choose Australia as your destination there are some very useful visa options that you can use to bring your parents over for a visit or even permanently.
Visa options for parents
In Australia, there are several parent visa options that can help nearly all those who seek to fly their parents over. Below I’ll provide a list of some types of parent visas that you can take advantage of and reunite with your parents once more.
- Contributory visa
- Non-contributory visa
- Aged parent visa
- Visitor visa
In contributory parent subclass, visa 143 as the name suggest you have to contribute a significant amount of money (AUD 43.600) to the government in order to gain permission to enter the country provided that you’re eligible and can provide the needed documents for this visa. This visa will enable you the applicant to live permanently in Australia. The requirements are as follows:
- You should have a child who is living in Australia as a permanent resident, Australian or New Zealand eligible citizen to become your sponsor.
- You should meet and pass the required family test.
- When applying for the contributory visa you shouldn’t have applied or hold a sponsored temporary visa (subclass 870).
- Meet and pass the balance of family test.
- Get the assurance of support in Australia.
- Pass the health and character test.
If the visa is granted, the applicant can:
- Live indefinitely inside the country.
- Sponsor and help eligible family members to relocate to Australia.
- The applicant can apply for citizenship after becoming eligible for that.
- Work or study in Australia.
With this visa, you don’t have to pay a fortune as it cost you a lot less. But the processing time is insane (25 to 30 years) because there are only a fixed number of applications that are processed each year.
Parent Visas (Temporary)
With this visa, the applicant with an eligible child living in Australia can gain temporary access entry and live for a particular time (3 to 5 years) in Australia without needing to depart the country. One good aspect of this visa is that the applicant doesn’t need to meet the required balance of family test.
With this visa, you are eligible to stay in the country for up to 5 years which can be extended for another 5 years. Which will make your total stay up to 10 years. The fee for this visa at the time of writing this article for a 3-year stay is AUD 5,090 and for 5 years it’s AUD 10,180.
To get this visa you must be supported by an eligible child who:
- Is at least 18 years old.
- Is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a New Zealander who has been living in Australia for at least 4 years.
- Can pass the income test. This means your recent taxable income year must be AUD 83,454,80 or more.
Aged parent visa
You have two aged parent visas that you can choose from. Subclass 804 is for those applicants who apply for it onshore while temporary living inside the country. The second one is subclass 103 is for applicants who live outside of Australia.
With this visa, you can live in Australia permanently in the country provided that you have an eligible child living in Australia. The applicant needs to be the required age for this type of visa in order to get the age pension requirement in Australia.
|Period within which the applicant was born
|Date pension age change
|July 1st 1952 to 31 December 1953
|65 and a half
|1 July 2017
|January 1st 1954 to 30 June 1955
|1 July 2019
|July 1st 1955 to 31 December 1956
|66 and a half
|1 July 2021
|January 1st 1957 onwards
|1 July 2023
With this visa the applicants can:
- Remain and live in Australia permanently.
- Sponsor other eligible family members to move to Australia.
- Become an Australian citizen if they pass the required conditions.
In this article, we tried to sum up some of the main visa applicants for parents who wish to relocate to Australia and live with their kids abroad. sadly, some of these visas are really time-consuming to get processed and can cost a lot of money. But still, they are great for those who have the means to apply for them.