Office style water coolers are notorious for growing mold if your water cooler is not contained in every cleaned every two months you're probably going to end up with mold sooner than later. question is what products do you want to use on something that you're drinking water out of.
What cleaning product to use on water dispensers
Both bleach and white vinegar are common cleaners used when cleaning mold and mildew from water dispensers. bleach is more powerful when it comes to cleaning hard surfaces that had mold on them. vinegar is more natural but not as effective and does not kill all mold species. Some people do not want to use bleach on their items that are going to be drinking out of so perfectly fine to try vinegar and see if it works. Maybe its just time to replace that nasty water cooler: https://www.thesmartconsumer.com/best-water-cooler
Using bleach on the watercooler
Make sure that you start with an unscented bleach mix 1 gallon of regular tap water with 1 tbsp of unscented chlorine bleach. you want to make sure to wear gloves and avoid getting the bleach on your clothes. it also is a good idea to wear glasses to keep I need from splashing into your eyes while you're scrubbing the water cooler. If you need information about cleaning up mold in walls and wood, you can find it here https://www.thesmartconsumer.com/how-get-rid-black-mold
Make sure the unit is unplugged and disconnected from any plumbing supply lines
Remove the water bottle, at this time I recommend cleaning the outside of the machine anything that you can access.
Disassemble the unit and clean scrub all components (see video above)
Now run hot water into the reservoir and drain out of both spigots until all the bleach is rinsed out.
Reassemble and plugin.
Don’t forget to clean it every few months using the step below to prevent mold build up again.
Vinegar can be used with the same procedure as above. using a solution of ½ cup of white distilled vinegar to a half-gallon of warm water.
The two easiest ways to Prevent mold from growing again Two methods of cleaning your water cooler
Use H2OK for Regular Maintenance Of Water Towers and Water Bottles.
H2OK is a cleaning agent for bacteria, it can be used on water containers, water coolers, water bottles, water bags, or camel water bags. It’s probably the easiest way to keep the water cooler clean and safe for use.
1. Remove the water bottle and drain water using taps
2. Remove and guard and baffle to get to reservoir
3. Remove water guard or top of the water cooler and baffle (if applicable).
4. Pour the contents of the H2OK directly into the reservoir.
5. Fill the reservoir with clean water and wait 15 minutes.
6. Drain water reservoir from each cooler tap.
7. Wipe out the reservoir with a clean paper towel or fresh cloth
8. Repeat cleaning procedure if bio-film is still visible.
9. Wipe down outside of the unit with soap and water
9. Reassemble and place bottle back into position
10. Drain two (2) cups of water from each faucet and discard
12. The water dispenser is now clean.
Clean your water cooler every 3 months.
Using Hot Water to Clean your Water Cooler
Heres what you need
-cleaning pad and scrub brush
-1 gallon of just boiled water
1)Turn off the dispenser and unplug it
2) remove water bottle, adapter, air filter, and baffle
3) fill the water reservoir with the just boiled water using a half gallon
4) use cleaning pad and brush to clean the water reservoir (be careful the water is hot)
5) clean the baffle and adapter with soap and water or in your dishwasher
6) drain the water through the cold water spigot and add the other ½ gallon of hot water into the water reservoir and let it sit for 5 minutes
7) clean the outside of the unit8) reassemble and repeat every few months
Mold can make you sick, do you have symptoms: https://www.thesmartconsumer.com/mold-exposure-symptoms