Moringa - A New Superfood
Just not long ago I discovered this amazing plant called Moringa, also known as drumstick tree or horseradish tree. And because of its health benefits, I decided to write an article and share with you simple but powerful Moringa Powder Recipes that will change your life for better.
Moringa is in the category of "superfoods" because its leaves are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, beta carotene, chlorogenic acid, which slows down the absorption of sugar at the cellular level. According to the Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Moringa leaf extract has a powerful antioxidant effect against free radicals that destroy major biomolecules and protect against oxidation.
It is widely used for nursing and pregnant women to give them more nutrition, as well as their babies. Children are also given Moringa to improve their chances of surviving the early fragile years of life.
It is estimated that the dried Moringa leaves contain:
17 times more calcium than milk
7 times more vitamin C than oranges
4-10 times more vitamin A than in carrots
15 times more potassium than bananas
25 times more iron than spinach
36 times more magnesium than in eggs
It turns out that Moringa being used in Indian medicine around 5,000 years ago, and there are also accounts of it being utilized by the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians. The Sanskrit word for Moringa is "Saubhajnana" which means ‘Knowledge of the Heavens’.
For example, moringa tea. They used this leaf infusion to stabilize blood pressure, flowers as an anti-inflammatory agent, pods for joint pain, roots for rheumatism, and bark as a means to improve digestion.
It is also known that root sap is applied externally against skin irritations, and moringa oil is used for skin diseases. The leaves are used as compresses for sores and as ointments for rubbing the temples to get rid of a headache. Bitter-tasting roots are used to improve digestion, as an expectorant for lung diseases, as a weak diuretic and stimulant for epilepsy and hysteria.
There are tons of studies and research done on Moringa. Please click here to view all research related to Moringa.
Also, Moringa flowers, its leaves, and roots are used to treat tumors.
Moringa is not only a terrific food product, but it is also a super-coolant, cleansing the skin from acne, inflammation, and wrinkles. Click Here to learn more about Acne and Skin problems.
Moringa oil is extracted from the seeds of this tree. It is known that the important Egyptians were buried next to a Moringa oil pot. Oil is perfectly absorbed into the skin and preserves, without spoiling, for many years.
What Is Moringa Oleifera or Drumstick Tree?
Moringa is a drought-resistant evergreen tree growing in a subtropical and tropical climate. The foothills of the Himalayas are considered to be its homeland, but today moringa is successfully cultivated in Asia, Africa, India, Mexico, Central, and South America. At the same time, Moringa grows so fast that it can reach 2-3 meters in height a year after landing.
Moringa can also be preserved for a long time without loss of nutrients. Drying or freezing can be done to store the leaves.
The amazing fact about Moringa tree is that just about every part of the plant can be utilized in some way, whether it’s to make a potent antioxidant tea or produce an oily substance that lubricates and nourishes the skin or make a leaf powder for cooking and making healing smoothies.
Benefits of Moringa
- Several studies have shown that moringa can act as an anti-diabetic agent. A study has shown that the Moringa can cure streptozotocin-induced Type 1 diabetes and also insulin resistant Type 2 diabetes in rats. Study Review
- Moringa can be used as an anticancer agent as it is natural, reliable and safe, at established concentrations. Studies have shown that soluble and solvent extracts of leaves have been proven as effective as anticancer agents.
- Moringa can be used as a potent neuroprotectant.
- Moringa decreased acidity in gastric ulcers and can be used as an antiulcer agent according to ScienceDirect.
- Moringa is prescribed by herbal practitioners for patients with AIDS. Moringa is suggested to be included in the diet, with the view of boosting the immune system of HIV positive individuals.https://publichealthinafrica.org/index.php/jphia/article/view/jphia.2012.e6
- Moringa can be a potent therapy for arthritis. Inflammation can lead to chronic illnesses like cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and obesity. Moringa is known to reduce inflammation. source-Scopus.com
- Moringa prevents the damage and degradation from free radicals, keeping them healthy and functioning at their best.
- Moringa Leaf powder protects the cardiovascular system by preventing a plaque buildup in the arteries and by reducing cholesterol level.
- Moringa has liver health benefits. High concentrations of polyphenols help the liver fight against oxidation and toxicity. It can normalize liver enzymes as well, increasing the protein content in the liver.
- Moringa has antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight infections.
- Some research on mice shows promising results on protecting against arsenic toxicity.
Moringa supplements may also interact with different medications, affecting their absorption or magnifying their effect on the body.
Some of these medications include diabetes and high blood pressure medicine.
Before taking Moringa supplements or powder, consult with your doctor.
An overdose of moringa may cause high accumulation of iron. High iron can cause gastrointestinal distress and hemochromatosis.
A daily dose of 70 g of moringa is suggested to be good and prevents over accumulation of nutrients.
Moringa Powder Smoothie Recipes
Let me share with you a few of my favorite Moringa Smoothies that will rock your world!
Dragon Fruit Pineapple Guava Smoothie
Fast, beautiful and super useful. The tart taste of Moringa leaves goes well with pineapple and guava and gives a fruity mood all day.
Be creative, fruits can be apples, kiwi, pears, watermelon.
1/2 white or red dragon fruit
1 ripe banana
1/2 pineapple, peeled
15 gr. Pine nut
10 gr. Thai basil seed or chia seed.
1 guava, peel and seed peel
150 grams of fresh Moringa leaves or 1 tsp. Moringa powder
10 grams of fresh mint leaves
50 ml of water
Blueberry Grapes Detox Smoothie
To make a smoothie, you will need:
2 cups of chopped green kale leaves (can also be spinach or greens of your choice)
1 tablespoon Moringa powder
½ cup green seedless grapes
½ cup red seedless grapes
½ gull blueberry (fresh or sublimated)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 lemon ring without skin
Add all ingredients to a blender. Add water for the consistency you need. Mix it up. Your smoothie is ready!
Instead of grapes, you can also use banana, mango, grapefruit or pineapple.
Enjoy your smoothie!
Kiwi Moringa Energy Smoothie
1 tablespoon Moringa powder
2 passion fruits
250 ml of coconut water
Add all ingredients to a blender. Mix it up. Enjoy!
Moringa Tea Smoothie
1 Moringa Tea bag
1 cup boiling water
1/2 a cup of raw spinach or kale leaves
1/3 cup of mango
1 or 2 dates
2 tsp of hemp seeds
2 tsp of spirulina powder
1/2 tsp minced ginger root
Pour 8 oz of boiling water over a Moringa tea bag, cover it and let it steep for about 15 min.
After that combine all ingredients above in the blender and enjoy!
Pineapple Banana Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 teaspoon Moringa powder
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- A ½ cup of blueberries
- 1 peeled orange
- 1 cup of coconut water
Mix all ingredients above in the blender and enjoy!
Super Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 tbsp Moringa Powder
- 2 tbsp Supergreens & Protein
- 1/4 cup frozen coconut meat
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 frozen cup kale
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond/coconut milk
- 1 cup ice
Blend in blender slowly. Blend on low for 30 seconds then high for 15 seconds.
Enough protein for a meal replacement or healthy breakfast.
If adding fresh products instead of frozen, add an extra 1/4 cup ice.
Avocado Moringa Smoothie
- 1 teaspoon moringa leaf powder
- 1 banana
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 /2 cup blueberries
- 1 orange-peeled
- 1 cup filtered water or coconut water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 avocado – peeled
Add all of the ingredients to your blender. Enjoy!
Green Detox Moringa Smoothie
Great for Weight Loss
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 1 Whole Cucumber
- 1 Squeezed Lime
- 1 Whole Green Apple
- 1 Whole Kiwi
- 1 Tbsp Moringa Powder
- 1 cup Ice
Mix all of the above in your blender and enjoy!
*All content found in this article, including text, images, audio, or other formats were created for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
I hope you enjoyed my article. Now I want to hear from You. If you have any questions or would like to share your opinion, please feel free to visit my site at